I finally feel like the game is going places with regards to progress. Today I launched my first video update for game development on my YouTube channel and I hope to make it a weekly post. One of the major things I need to work on in general is just being consistent with uploading when it comes to YouTube. So while I work on the more advanced videos, I can post a quick game dev update. This video features a first draft of one of the levels in my game: Horror Block Breaker. Check it out below at the bottom of this post!
Goals for the game next week:
- fix the broken ball code so the ball doesn’t get caught in a boring loop (where it bounces from side to side)
- finish the sprites for the paddles and if possible the balls as well
- finish the rough outline of the remaining levels
- Incorporate feedback from the comments in the video below
- start incorporating sound effects into the game
- add cracks in the blocks to show they’ve been hit (2-hit blocks and 3-hit blocks)
- add blood spurts when blocks are destroyed
Long term goals (week after next, but I understand they could take longer):
- arrange for 8-bit music to play in each level (I have content creators in mind to ask for permission to use their music for this project. We’ll see what happens).
- get the game uploaded on game bucket and itch.io.